CFRI’s online ‘Living Mindfully with CF’ class – created and taught by Julie Desch, MD, who herself has cystic fibrosis (CF), draws upon Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction techniques and focuses these practices specifically to living with CF.
- Open to individuals with CF and their family members (spouses/partners, parents, siblings) from across the United States and beyond
- Participants must be at least 16 years old
- Classes include a 10-15 minute movement practice, 20 minute guided meditation, small group breakout period, a 20 minute talk, as well as time for questions and answers
- The class is online, and is interactive
- Participants can meet each other, see each other, talk, and learn from each other
- Class One (July 17) – What is Mindfulness : Introduction to Body Scan.
- Class Two (July 24) – Mindfulness of Body and Breath : Introduction to gentle seated movement practice
- Class Three (July 31) – Mindfulness of Thinking : Introduction to gentle standing movement practice
- Class Four (August 7) – Mindfulness of Emotion : Introduction to walking meditation
- Class Five (Saturday, August 11) – Working with Uncertainty : Introduction to Qigong practice
- Class Six (August 21) – Self-Compassion and Resilience
There will be a four-hour mini-retreat on a weekend day between class 4 and 5, which will consist only of meditation, with no didactic period.
Made possible through grants from Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Genentech