In light of the high rates of depression and anxiety that are common among those impacted by cystic fibrosis (CF), CFRI offers financial support for counseling sessions as well as monthly caregiver support groups. CFRI also offers “Living Mindfully with CF,” an online class which draws upon Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction techniques. These programs address the impact of chronic illness on emotional health. Participation in these programs helps improve health and quality of life, and is open to the CF community nationwide.
Counseling Support to Nationwide CF Community
Children and adults with CF as well as their family members (parents, siblings, spouses/partners) can enroll in individual therapy sessions with a licensed provider of their choice.
Please note: Funds for 2019 have been expended; until new funds are received, a waiting list has been established.
- As a participant, you must live in the United States
- You can select a licensed therapist in your community (for a referral, you can ask your CF social worker)
- Psychiatric services are not eligible for these sessions
- CFRI will cover the cost of your insurance co-pay for six sessions
- CFRI will pay up to $120 per session for six sessions in case of the following :
- You have no insurance, or
- The provider does not accept insurance, or
- The provider is outside of your network
- You and your selected therapist MUST contact CFRI prior to the subsidized sessions; without the necessary forms and authorization by CFRI, we are unable to reimburse therapists for their services
- By participating in the program, you commit to take part in the brief evaluation process
For more information on how to participate in CFRI’s Counseling Support Program, please email Sabine Brants (firstname.lastname@example.org.)
This program is made possible through grants from Chiesi USA, Gilead Sciences, Genentech, Vertex, and individual donors.
Caregivers Support Groups: Third Tuesday of Every Month
CFRI provides a monthly CF Caregivers Support Group, which is open to participants nationwide. The groups are facilitated by a social worker well versed in issues facing CF caregivers. Participants are able to participate in person, as well as join anywhere from the country by telephone.
Two groups to choose from:
- Parents of children with CF:
5:00 pm – 6:00 pm PST
- Parents/Spouses/Partners of Adults with CF:
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm PST
To Attend in Person:
Location (both sessions):
1st Floor Conference Room; 730 Welch Rd, Palo Alto, CA
To Participate by Phone or Video Conference:
Starting this year, we will be using Zoom to host the phone/video portion of the meeting.
To attend by phone or video call, Parents of Children should go to https://zoom.us/s/555433812
To attend by phone or video call, Parents/ Spouses/ Partners of Adults should go to https://zoom.us/s/832557859
Please log in early to make sure there are no technical problems.
Facilitated by Meg Dvorak, LCSW
CF Social Worker at Stanford
Caregivers Support Group is made possible through grants from Chiesi USA, Gilead Sciences, Genentech, Horizon Pharma, and individual donors.
Living Mindfully with CF
CFRI’s online ‘Living Mindfully with CF’ class – created and taught by Julie Desch, MD, who herself has cystic fibrosis (CF), draws upon Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction techniques and focuses these practices specifically to living with CF.
- Open to individuals with CF and their family members (spouses/partners, parents, siblings) from across the United States and beyond
- Participants must be at least 16 years old
- Classes include a 10-15 minute movement practice, 20 minute guided meditation, small group breakout period, a 20 minute talk, as well as time for questions and answers
- The class is online, and is interactive
- Participants can meet each other, see each other, talk, and learn from each other
- Class One (August 6) – What is Mindfulness : Introduction to Body Scan.
- Class Two (August 13) – Mindfulness of Body and Breath : Introduction to gentle seated movement practice
- Class Three (August 20) – Mindfulness of Thinking : Introduction to gentle standing movement practice
- Class Four (August 27) – Mindfulness of Emotion : Introduction to walking meditation
- Class Five (September 3) – Working with Uncertainty : Introduction to Qigong practice
- Class Six (September 10) – Self-Compassion and Resilience
REGISTRATION CLOSED Class in session. Stay tuned for upcoming classes!
Made possible through grants from Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Gilead Sciences, Genentech, Chiesi USA, and Horizon Pharma.